I am beyond excited to see My Morning Jacket live. Next week at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado I’ll get the insane pleasure of seeing two of my favorite bands on the same bill. Band of Horses is opening and has been a favorite of mine for years. I’m a more recent band wagoner of MMJ but that hasn’t stopped me from becoming completely obsessed and making a top eleven list, natch.
My playlist on Spotify if you’re interested… or insanely bored:
1. “You Wanna Freak Out” from Circuital: As a newer fan I’m more inclined to listen to the songs they’ve put out in the last few years. This one has everything I love about the band: solid rock backdrop with Jim James’ lyrics and vocals at the helm… plus the experimental nature that keeps them relevant.
2. “The Bear” from The Tennessee Fire: Pretty far on the other side of the spectrum this softer song is all about the drum beat and delicate crooning. Been obsessing on this one for awhile.
3. “Touch Me I’m Going To Scream, Pt. 1” from Evil Urges: The tongue-in-cheek title is only one thing I love about this song. The soft harmonies, keyboard nuances, and fast-paced drumming – it all works so well together.
4. “Circuital” from Circuital: This song starts tenderly and builds into the gorgeous height of James’ voice. A friend commented that it would “go good with a sunset”… I tend to agree.
5. “Rocket Man” from Early Recordings: Chapter 1: The Sandworm Cometh: The acoustic strumming on this one with James’ falsetto is just oh-so-delicious. The cover is somber and I think I’d take this one with that sunset and a glass of red wine.
6. “The Day Is Coming” from Circuital: The way this song ramps up with sweet stringed instruments and quickening pace alludes to the excitement felt in the lyrics. It aligns itself with how I’ve felt this entire year- ramping up into something even better and being ready to accept the awesome things that exist in my life and what’s to come.
7. “Librarian” from Evil Urges: The storytelling lyrics and lullaby hush of James’ voice make my heart ache as soon as this one starts. It seems to me every nerdy girl’s fantasy – some sweet man pining for you, imagining the sexiness that exists beneath the exterior of a “simple little bookworm.” (Yes, I’m a dork.)
8. “Our World” from Muppets: The Green Album: If you question the all-over-the-map essence of MMJ, there’s this. “Our World” is a song from Emmet Otter’s Jug-band Christmas – which I watch with my family every year during the holidays (and the outtakes- so good). Discovering the cover of this sweet song fills me with immense love and nostalgia. *sniff*
9. “Dondante” from Z: Watching James explain the meaning of this song on Storytellers made me weep- I adore his candor about it along with the hopefulness he touches on. And I instantly fell in love with the song. Inspired by the dream of a friend who took his own life, the song possesses a haunting, ethereal quality that sticks with you. The high notes mixed with guttural utterances on this one are mesmerizing.
10. “Touch Me I’m Going To Scream, Pt. 2” from Evil Urges: The counter part to Pt. 1, this tune is equally layered with everything from synthesizer sounds to a jazzy drum beat. The song meanders along for over 8 minutes, and I’m not complaining for any bit of it.
11. “One Big Holiday” from It Still Moves: MMJ is able to do so much with their music- herald the spirit of good old rock ‘n’ roll, experiment with their sound in a hugely varying way, and remain relevant in a scene that often stifles creativity instead of celebrating it. This tune came out almost ten years ago and will invariably remain a classic tune for years to come. Not to mention it looks fucking epic when performed live:
Is there any question why I’m obsessed ?