So if you can’t tell, I’m a sap. I’m in love with love. I love to see couples who have a bond that radiates from them- it’s something to aspire to, if nothing else. One of my favorite couples are celebrating their 1 year wedding anniversary today. The thing that sticks out in my mind about them, always, is that they make a great team. Whether it’s their comedic timing together or their traveling adventures as a duo- they share a bond you can see. Another thing they do as a team is go sailing. I know nothing about sailing, but it sounds kinda hard and it’s outdoorsy so probably something I should avoid. It’s not my bag, but I love that it’s theirs and that it’s something they enjoy together. So today I made a song list with sailing references and dedicate it to my friends on their special day. Happy Anniversary Chelsea and Ryan. I love you.
Here’s a YouTube video playlist if you wanna listen along and check out Chelsea’s food blog here for lots of reviews on tasty eats in San Diego- warning: your mouth will water!
1. El Capitan by The Steelwells: Coincidentally one of Chels and Ryan’s friends turned me onto this band. I absolutely love this song. . This song’s got great vocals and aching lyrics that pull at the heart strings. It’s no happy love song, but no fear… I’ll get to those
2. Simple Song by The Shins: James Mercer’s shiny happy love for his lady is on display in this song and it makes me do my happy dance. May we all be so blessed to write lines like this:
“My life in an upturned boat, marooned on a cliff.
You brought me a great big flood, and you gave me a lift.
Girl, what a gift.”
3. Oceans and Streams by The Black Keys: This song is one of my favorites and always puts me in a good mood (just like the anniversary couple, hehe). Kind of a stretch putting this one on here but “oceans” should count right? And gotta have some bad ass rock and roll on every playlist.
4. Ships in the Night by Mat Kearney: A danceable little number with some speaking sing-song lyrics that ropes me in. Kearney is great at crafting story-telling songs that have just enough pop to make them fun.
5. Sailing to Nowhere by Broken Bells: A mellow song that showcases the range of Shins’ singer James Mercer. Maybe just groove along to this one and ignore the lyrics, they’re kinda trippy.
6. Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (from Once): Does a sweeter love song exist? This one starts soft and gently and rises to its powerful chorus with the blending of two incredible vocalists. I get chills. (And if you haven’t seen the movie, please do.)
7. The Lighthouse & The Sea by Dead Feather Moon: Gotta show some local love whenever I can. Maybe Chelsea and Ryan can adopt The Lighthouse and The Sea as new nicknames for one another. Huh huh? This song has a haunting melody, whispered and enchanting vocals and some of my favorite lines:
“When you aren’t speaking, you’re being spoken for.
When you aren’t kicking, you’re being kicked to the floor.”
(No YouTube for this one- listen on Spotify here)
8. “You Are The Ocean And I’m Good At Drowning” by Phantogram: The title says it all right? Layers of sound, an infectious beat, and an ethereal feel throughout- I’d drown in this tune any day.
9. “The Tide Is High” by Blondie: Fun, romantic, and a karaoke staple. Debbie Harry’s voice offers its unique flavor and the steel drums make me wanna drink a Mai Tai and sway.
10.”Float On” by Modest Mouse: Another random one but the notion of just letting it all go and floating on is a good one. If I could only put it to practice.
11.”Sail Away” by David Gray: Soulful lyrics and Gray’s signature sound make this one a high note to end on. Romantic sentiments and gentle guitar strumming- it invokes visions of setting sail with someone you love right off into a sunset… Did I mention I’m a freaking sap?