Getting started on a new series of posts here and hoping all (eight) of you will wanna help me with inspiration. Starting with some given word I’m going to attempt to compile a list of eleven songs that all have that word on the title. I went with “love” for my first list… firstly because I’m a sap, secondly it gives me the chance to include my favorite song of all time (which also makes me a sap), and thirdly it’s an easy one. Feel free to leave me your comments with your own “love” songs and ideas for what words I should tackle next.
If you’d like to follow along- here’s a YouTube playlist to help you out.
1. “No One’s Gonna Love You” by Band of Horses: This has been my favorite song since the first time I heard it about 4 years ago. From those first tender chords, I’m hooked. The song is the perfect marriage of heart breaking with the pang of hopefulness. BOH’s live performance of it is utterly flawless. If you get the chance, I highly recommend seeing them. Side note: Cee Lo Green does an amazing cover.
2. “Is That Love?” by Squeeze: I love me some Squeeze. This is the kind of stuff I grew up on. This fun pop tune still makes me want to dance all these years later.
3. “Have Love Will Travel” by The Black Keys: This is quintessential Black Keys magic- gritty, hard-hitting, and down right sexy. I was a late-comer to the party but once I got into these guys I devoured as much as I could. This one’s always been a favorite.
4. “Girlshapedlovedrug” by Gomez: Had to include my favorite band… I have a shirt somewhere around here that says “Girlshapedlovedrug” on it. Cute right? (Yeah, if it fit.) This one is fun and humorous. Just one of the many sides of Gomez… and love I suppose. Cheesy much?
5. “Love is a Murder” by The Constellations (featuring Cee Lo Green): Take one part unconventional rock band, add one part vocalizing wizard, and blend with the notorious “L” word… this recipe for rad equals a song full of funkiness. The lead vocals have a kind of raspy rap style to them and then Cee Lo bursts in with a quick verse that makes it just that much better.
6. “Terrible Love” by The National: This song is haunting for a million and one reasons – the lyrics, the static-y guitar, the somber vocals, and a rhythmic heartbeat pounding along as the song picks up speed and a sense of urgency is created. If you can’t tell, I love The National.
7. “Love and Some Verses” by Iron and Wine: Every word that Sam Beam utters tickles my heart strings, is that weird? This hushed lullaby of a song is simple and sweet- if only other things in life were so.
8. “Been Down by Love” by John Meeks: Gotta throw some local love in here (shitty pun intended.) I’m pretty much obsessed with Mr. Meeks’ music these days after catching him at an amazing outdoor music thing where I spent the day listening to (mostly) local bands. His unique voice has an aching and sad quality or maybe I just think that because this song is terribly heartbreaking. It ends with what I can only imagine are the squeals of a violin as it dies.
9. “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver: Another artist I discovered long after everyone else had. I’m not a huge fan, but this song will keep you up at night. Starting with the haunting voice and simple strumming this song gets to me. During the chorus there’s a desperation in his voice that’s just beautiful.
10. “Green Eyed Love” by Mayer Hawthorne: And for something completely different…. Sometimes Mayer’s retro vibe can verge on “enough already” but this tune is killer. Whether it’s about absinthe or some other kinda green Mr. Hawthorne’s in love with, I really don’t care. This shit grooves.
11. “Love is Dangerous” by The Dudes: The lesson for the day. The Dudes make fun, party-perfect, rock and roll anthems. These Canucks know how to craft a catchy song, but that doesn’t mean it can’t have some poignant underlying message. Now if only they’d come stateside and play in my dining room.
There it is, I’m sure I missed tons of great tunes and I’ll probably second guess the mix I went with the second I’m done. *Shrug* Hit me up with your songs and your ideas for what word I should take on next. Be gentle please.